Thursday, June 9, 2016

Some Observations on the Day

 

It's summer and I have a slight break in my teaching schedule. With nowhere in particular to go and nothing in particular to do, here are some random observations for the day.

Does anyone else think that the photo of Hillary gloating at gaining enough Democrat votes for the nomination makes her head look yuuuuuuuge? I don't usually go for the blatant ad hominem attacks, but seriously, that's one really yuuuuuuge head.

Hillary, by the way, is so uninspiring to Democrats everywhere that she'll lose the election just because she'd disfranchised half of them.

Speaking of huge heads, here's one of the best clips from the movie So I Married an Axe Murderer.


I took my life into my own hands yesterday and ventured into Chipotle for dinner. This particular place has a Harkins Theater and is close to the ASU campus. Hence, it attracts the student population away from their safe spaces, if only for a few hours.

I've been inured against most of the disfigurement that passes for fashion. One young woman, however, had gauges in her ears the size of Krispy Kreme donuts. Heck, they may even have been donuts stuffed into her gaping wound of ear skin.

Fashion comes and goes with the passing years. Ink covering half the body and pierced ears the size of donuts are forever.

Perhaps inkers get addicted to new tattoos because they can't just go out and buy a new pair or shoes when the fashion changes.

I only wish I'd brought my camera along.


I shoot a Canon 7D Mark II. I'm not rich enough for a really high-end body, so I spend all my money on lenses. This particular Canon body, however, captures really great photos.

Back to school. I teach all my summer classes online this year. Each day brings whole new depths of ignorance that I never knew could possibly exist. Perhaps my students all have yuuuuuge ear gauges that are pulling the brains out of their heads.

I note that Richard Simmons is "transitioning" into a, well, "trans." I think I speak for the rest of the world when I ask, "What took him so long?"

I am incredulous how many telemarketing calls are made to my land line each day. I'd get rid of the phone, except that it's included with my cable internet and I use it as a home number for the myriad places that demand a phone number. I never answer the stupid thing, but the calls keep coming and the robot dialers keep leaving messages.

The latest round are extremely annoying recorded calls that have a conversation. It's pretty bizarre stuff:

"Hi. This is John Wayne from Direct Funeral Services. We're just calling to verify your information. Could I get your first name, please?....Thanks. And now how about your last name?...Thank you...."

Most of the marketing calls have blocked numbers so I can't turn around and block theirs. It looks like it's time to change my landline number again.

I've been on a Joss Whedon marathon while school's slowed down to a crawl. He certainly has produced a lot of good stuff, up to and including Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing.

His best, besides Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, is Firefly. My favorite Firefly quote?

"Also, I can kill you with my brain."

If you haven't seen Firefly, here's a taste: