Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Thank You President Barack Obama: What Your Agenda Has Done For Me


As we bid farewell to the most successful president since FDR (It's totally true! MSNBC said so!), I'd also like to offer my thanks to Mr. Obama for all of the things he's done for me.

In 2009, when Mr. Obama took office, I was running a successful graphics design business, I had a lot of money socked away, I was partners in a couple of real estate development businesses, and I had a pretty good teaching gig at the local college.

When Obamacare was passed in 2010, I decided to take a second university teaching job as the rumors at my current school were that teaching staff would be cut back. Sure enough, with the new year, my hours and salary were cut 60%.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

That same year, my university position made the same cuts, and I was making half the salary there as well.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

Because of the "stimulus" package, my real estate deals - which admittedly had been traumatized by the mortgage company crash of 2008 - were no longer viable. Federal government regulations kept changing, the SEC rules changed almost weekly, and loan companies refused to lend out money with such an uncertain market. I lost about 90% of that income during those years.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

Because of "progressive" pressure to increase minimum wages, my graphics clients - mostly restaurants - started to go out of business. From 2009 until 2012 when I sold off our office building, my business of 18 years lost more than 50% of the income.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

And, by the way, when I and my partners sold off the building, we lost about $10,000 on it since the real estate market refused to bounce back.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

In the meantime, I took a third teaching job, working with special needs kids in the private sector, just to make ends meet.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

When the individual mandate to buy health insurance became active in 2014, my insurance premiums increased 100%.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

This year, my insurance premiums increased 106%, and my deductible doubled. There is now only one health insurance carrier in Phoenix, Arizona. The insurance carrier that I'd had for many, many years, refused to sell individual insurance in 2017.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

Despite the high-cost insurance, my savings were wiped out last year because my wife and I actually had medical costs. I also had to raid my retirement fund to pay hospital bills.

Thank you Mr. Obama.

Now there are "news" casters, and celebrities, and crass women, and other progressives across the country weeping, and wailing, and gnashing their teeth because Mr. Trump promises to put an end to Obama's Utopian ideal.

Thank you Mr. Trump.